Monday, October 5, 2009

It's alive! It's alive!

I had the pleasure today to see my baby again via an ultra sound, and this experience was unlike the first one. I went in to the doctor's office for a screening that will check and see if our child will have down syndrome and some other disease. I know I probably should have paid attention to what that other disease was, but sometimes when the doctor starts speaking in "medical language" my brain automatically starts zoning out. I've had this problem my whole life and I unconsciously do it. If something is way over my head all I hear is "blah blah, blah blah blah, BLAH!"


This time the doctor was able to do the ultra sound by putting some cold jelly like substance on my stomach and then using a magic wand (my terminology, not theirs) the baby appeared. As soon as his/her image popped up on the screen I couldn't believe how big it was! I swear the baby doubled in size. You can definitely tell it has the Chilcoat gene. In fact the baby was so big that the doctor told me my due date was going to be earlier than they expected (from April 24th to April 16th). In a brief second I had an Ally McBeal moment and thought what if this baby keeps growing at crazy rates and takes over my body? I had a mental image of this human getting so big for my stomach that legs and hands would push through my stomach. Weird I know, but I couldn't help it.

The greatest thing about the ultra sound was how much the baby was moving. It was like it was jamming out to some good tunes. It was jumping all around my stomach, kicking his/her legs and moving its arms to the beat of its own music. It was such an awesome moment! The doctor was great and explained everything I was seeing on the screen and we counted the 10 toes and fingers. I got to see the little ribs and spinal cord, its like a science lab is going on inside me and I was at awe that my body was producing and making this tiny little human being. I even got to hear the heart beat again which was nice and strong. I got another mental image of my baby being this great athlete with strong legs and arms and this unbelievable strong heart that would take them across finish lines at the Olympics.

I fell that much more in love with my sweet little baby today and I must say it’s a love unlike any I've ever felt. I'm looking forward to what the next couple of months bring me and the changes I'll get to see take place before my eyes. Life is a beautiful thing!


1 comment:

  1. AAAHHHH Robyn, that's awesome...little peanut is getting big! March will be here sooner than you think and then April will take 8 years to get here.

    ReplyDelete