Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Its all in their tricky words I tell you!

I had my second prenatal visit today, and everything went good. There are a couple of things that caused concern, to me anyways, but all in all it went well.
I would like to propose a question to any and all doctors out there. Why do you have patients make appointments for specific times when you NEVER see them on time?? This question has always baffled me, and for the most part it doesn't both me unless I need to get somewhere, like work, afterwards. Since I do have to make monthly doctor visits now (and sometimes bi-weekly) I try to calculate the time I'm going to take off work to be considerate to my co-workers. This means I usually grab the first available appointment in the morning, so I can get in and out and to work with no one really noticing. The problem is I usually have to wait 15-30 minutes after my scheduled time before they even call me back to see me. How do you get so off schedule that early in the day? And since this is an everyday occurrence why don't you stop scheduling so many appointments so close to each other? I know I will probably never get these questions answered but I had to put it out there and get it off my chest. And let me tell you I feel better about it now.


When I finally did get back to see the doctor (20 minutes after my scheduled time) they smoothed things over by letting me listen to the baby's heart beat. Any time I get to see or hear anything related to this miracle inside of me I become that much closer and fall that much further in love with our baby. The heart rate was fast and strong and that made me happy. The doctor said all my blood tests came in and I was doing well. I'm not anemic, my blood sugars are great, and so is my thyroid. Then the doctor, like most, pulls this trickery on me and gives me all of this good news and sprinkles in some not so good news. So, I'm sitting there on the table cheesing away as she tells me these great things and then she brings up the fact that my blood type is O Negative and that there is a possibility if my husband has a negative blood type that my body might mistake the placenta as a foreign object and try to attack it if we decide to have a second child. I guess with the first my body is so out of whack that it couldn't build up enough antigens (I think that's the medical term she used, like I said before I zone out on big medical words) to attack my first child's placenta. Nice! So, that means that I will have to get a shot the next time I go in to help bond the negative antigens and the placenta and fool my body that we are all friends here. Crazy how that all works!

She then goes on to tell me that I tested negative for cystic fibrosis which means my baby will test negative for it. Yay! And then just to sprinkle a little bit more trickery on me, she says that from the last ultra sound images the baby is sitting really low in my uterus, in fact he/she is right on my cervix, which is ok right now because in the second trimester everything tends to move up but if for some reason everything doesn't that there is no way I can have a natural child birth. This means a c-section, which means I’ll probably never be able to have a natural child birth. Not the news I wanted to hear, but I'm not going to freak out now because there is still time for this baby to do some moving. All I have to say is this baby better start packing his/her bags and get to moving North because I do not want a c-section.

One other crazy thing I forgot to mention......when the nurse weighed me for this visit I was shocked to find out I actually lost one pound. How in the world that happened beats me! I've been shoving junk food and unhealthy stuff in my mouth left and right. I was actually scared to find out my weight, I thought for sure I had gained at least 5 pounds. Which made me start wondering, what if Cheeto Puffs, ice cream and Mexi Dip and Chips really are good for you?!? I'm going to take my weight loss as a yes and continue to eat them like crazy! Yum!

2 comments:

  1. LOL! those sneaky, lazy, running late dr.s!! I totally agree how ARE they going to schedule an appointment that early in the morning and STILL be behind?
    girl, at least if you get a c-section they can hook you up with a tummy tuck while their at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beutiful!! I felt beautiful being pregnant also!! It was a wonderful feeling! I just wish I had had my wonderful hubby around to have pampered me. John is a wonderful man!! You are blessed. I'm O negative also and don't worry To much about that. The shot you have to get does the trick!! Also a Having a C section was nothing for me, I thought it was great, yeah you kind of feel like you missed out on somethings, but really it's all about a healthy mom and baby. And you Can still have a natural birth with you next child, my sister did. And matter of fact she said she preferd the C section. You look great and I'm so happy for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete