Friday, April 16, 2010

Baby you Big! You Chunky!

I had an eye opening experience yesterday, that left me feeling scared and wishing I wouldn't have found out the information I did. I had a sonogram appointment. Any other time I would have been jumping up and down, happy to see my baby. Heck, I've been trying to weasel a sonogram out of my doctor for the past 4 months. Yesterday, I was wishing I never walked into that sono room.

First of all, since I'm in my 39th week we couldn't see much at all. The baby was so big the sono tech couldn't even get an accurate measurement of the baby's head b/c it was off of the screen! OFF OF THE SCREEN I SAY! Not something that comforts me because eventually that big ol' noggin has to come out of me! Next she tried to get a measurement of the baby's belly. That too was so big it was OFF OF THE SCREEN! In fact, there really wasn't too much we could get a good view of. We saw part of the femur bone, part of the spine, head, stomach, and that was about it. It wasn’t like the last time I saw my sweet little boy and could actually see him. It was very anti climatic.
The sono tech put all of the measurements that she could get into the computer which then calculated everything and gave us the estimated size of my little one. Are you ready for this?!? 9 pounds 8 oz give or take a pound. Let me say that again.....9 POUNDS 8 OZ GIVE OR TAKE A POUND!! I don't know about you, but to me that is one big baby! One big baby that I'm going to have to deliver into this world! It took everything I could not to get up and run out of that room as fast as I could and go hide (like that would help.)
I then get the lovely call from my doctor letting me know what my options are for delivering the big guy. Even though my due date is still about a week away, they don't want to see me go that far. Every day he stays in my stomach the bigger he gets. Yea! They are also concerned about me going into labor and not being physically able to deliver him. It's not the head they worry about it's his shoulders. She wanted to make me aware that I could go into labor and then have to have a c-section because of this. I really don't want to have a c-section so this bit of news didn't sit comfortably with me. She did say that if I go into labor in the next day or so they would feel better and right now they didn't see why I couldn't stick to my original birth plan.
But, and there is always a but.....if I haven't had him by next Wednesday they want to start talking to me about inducing or scheduling a c-section. Ugh! The two things I wanted to avoid all together slapped me in the face and could be a reality. I didn't sleep well at all last night. I kept thinking about this big baby and how this is all going to go down. I know in the end I will have a beautiful baby boy and that is really all that matters. I have to have faith that the man upstairs knows what he's doing and it will all play out how it is supposed to. I also need to be thankful that I do have a big healthy baby. So with that said, I ask all of you to pray for me and keep your fingers crossed he comes soon! I'm going to try everything I can to bring this on and I hope the next time I write on this blog it's to tell you how wonderful being a mom is! Until then, I leave you with this video that has been inside joke with John and I for most of my pregnancy and it makes me smile and now it fits more than ever. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMcLn6YjsBg

No comments:

Post a Comment