With Evan's year birthday came changes that I'm not sure I'm quite ready for. My once angelic sweet little boy is turning into an independent and strong willed little boy. To which I am constantly telling him no or trying to divert his attention to something else. Sometimes it works, but sometimes his momma's gene of turning into a crazy mad person comes out and he turns red with anger and the temper tantrum begins. I thought I had another year before that started. Isn't there something called the "terrible twos"?? The craziest thing about Evan's anger is it is evident at just one glance at him. His face and eyebrows turn red, and I swear his lips snarl and for a second you might think, "Is he going to bit me?" That all happens in seconds followed by what I can only describe as pure madness.....a temper tantrum.
His temper tantrums are insane. He throws himself back and it looks like some evil force has taken over his body and he flails around on the floor. And if that doesn't get your attention he will then start banging his head on the floor just too really let you know he isn't playing. He then goes into that silent cry that I've only experienced when I'm in extreme pain, the kind that knocks the breath right out of you. The first couple of times I heard this cry with his tantrums I freaked out because I thought he really hurt himself, but soon realized its all part of his game to get you to give into him. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!
Anything can invoke one of these crazy tantrums and I still get a little bit baffled by them. The only true remedy I've found is to put Evan in his crib in his room and walk away, not showing any reaction. At first the shrieks that come from his room from being ignored can really pull on my heart strings, but soon after I realize that true love is setting boundaries and letting him know that I'm the adult. My reasoning usually wins out and a few minutes later he'll calm down and turn back into my sweet little angel. As I go and get him from his room to let him know that I still love him, I can't help but think "did I spawn Satan himself"? But as soon as he wraps his arms around me and puts his head on my shoulder I realize he's not Satan just a little boy realizing his independence and trying to learn the world around him.
You are doing a fantastic job!! Remember us talking about John living his 30th year at 29. Well same is true for little Evan. He is living his 2nd year at one. This time is so challenging. It's so easy to get upset yourself. I have cried right along with Lucy several times. It's like magic one day when they do actually listen to you and not do something you have told them 1000 times not to get into. I promise the magic will happen. It's amazing!! You are an amazing momma!!
ReplyDeleteHA! just like they don't tell you that pregnancy is actually 10 months. terrible two's start AFTER one. like the next day after... Jack would go into this purple faced lock down tantrum sometimes I was afraid he might hurt himself from all the screaming. Good luck mammasita! you will do fine. Just wait until he thinks he can start telling you what to do. that's my favorite!
ReplyDeleteAw, Kat thank you so much! I doubt myself everyday so that is so nice to hear!
ReplyDelete