Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Say What?!?!

One word a girl never wants to hear, let alone a pregnant girl, is the word D-I-E-T! I was slapped hard across the ears with this word last week when I went in for my usual monthly check up. One of the first things they do at the doctor's office when you first go in to see them is take your blood pressure and weigh you. I've never been scared or worried about this at any doctor’s office, as I've never had to struggle with weight. I owe that to my incredibly lean genes given to me by mom and dad. For those of you that know me, I love junk food! And lately I haven't come across a desert that I don't like or can say no too.

So, I thought nothing of it when I got on the scale and the nurse took my weight and wrote it down. When the doctor walked into the waiting room I noticed she had a packet in her hand but I thought it was some info regarding the next 2 months of my pregnancy. Boy was I wrong!

She started out the conversation with what I call the "manager sandwich". This is where you get good news, followed by bad news, followed by good news. "Your doing great and tracking well so far in your pregnancy," said my doc. "But you've put on more than 5 pounds in the past month, and it's standard protocol for us to put anyone that's gained more than 5 pounds on a diet plan."

Do what?!? I'm sorry what did you just say? A diet plan!! What the hell!?!

She then continued with "You are still under the amount of weight we'd like to see you put on, but if you keep going down this path you won't be." I must admit that I felt like I got hit by a two by four. You NEVER want to tell any woman she is fat especially if she is 7 months pregnant! Granted she didn't say I was fat but that's how I heard it, and I wanted to crawl under the table and hide for the rest of my pregnancy. I feel big as it is and now I'm hearing my own doctor tell me I need to go on a diet plan! She then handed me the packet that listed out my "new" diet. It was all things I've seen and heard before. I need cut out sugars and fat and replace them with healthy alternatives like fruits and vegetables. And before I get everyone worked up, my doctor did say she was by no means telling me to starve myself or even cut back on the amount of food I'm eating. She just wanted to see me make healthier choices.

I will admit that I could make healthier choices in the foods I eat. For some reason I can't get enough sugar during this pregnancy. I want ice cream, and cake, and pies and if you even mention the word candy bar in my presence you better be prepared to hand over a Snickers or Twix bar!

So, from here on out I'm going to make a conscious effort to eat healthier. Not saying that I won't eat any sugar, because that's just ludicrous, but I will cut back on it and start reaching more for apples and broccoli. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment