For the past month or so I have been dragging through my day and wondering where all my energy has gone. I knew making a baby would drain you of energy, but it's like I hit a brick wall of a sudden and could barely get up the energy to open my eyes. I had my question answered the other day during my doctor appointment. I had my blood drawn for a glucose test to see if I had gestational diabetes and I guess they tested it for other things, because I got a call from my doctor saying I was anemic. This means my iron levels are low.
I've been taking iron supplements lately but I guess they aren't doing the job and I need to up the milligrams on my iron intake and start eating foods rich in iron (ties back to the diet plan my doc put me on too). Not only does being anemic make you tired, but it also plays a factor in mood swings. I'll admit that lately I've been a little on the irritable side and I get annoyed easily. My poor husband has been the main culprit catching my mood swings. I know I'm being moody sometimes but there is nothing I can do to stop it.
Iron or the lack of it will also make you forgetful. This explains why I've left my car running in the store parking lot (see earlier blog) and also in my garage for 2 hours. Yep, that's right 2 hours! Thank goodness I went out there to put some bottles in the recycling bin b/c it probably would have run all night. I've also had a case or two of forgetting people's name that I know. And I'm not talking about a random person; I'm talking about family members and friends. It's been bad, and I feel awful about it when a brain fart hits.
Who would have known that one little mineral could wreak so much havoc on ones life? I've started taking my supplements in the morning and at night now and eating as much broccoli that I can get my hands on. I won't go into details about what that does to your body, but there are side effects of taking iron supplements.
I know that one day when Evan is mad at me for something; I can say to him that I loved him so much I made sacrifices for him before he was even born. That should end any argument right?!? LOL!

No comments:
Post a Comment