Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Oh Happy Day!

Today I got to experience one of the most amazing moments in my life! I went in for my first ultrasound and prenatal visit with my doctor. I don't know why, but I was nervous going into this first milestone of my pregnancy. Everything still felt surreal and some where in the back of my head I thought, "What if I'm not pregnant?? What if my body is playing tricks on me?" I know that is a silly thought to have, but I had it.

I was ecstatic that John was able to go with me because it was comforting to have him by my side. To know that we were going through this together, even the uncomfortable times (and by that I mean the physical exam that takes place, no woman pregnant or not enjoys it or looks forward to it). After going through a series of questions and having to drink this nasty orange sweet drink to check if I had diabetes (still doesn't make sense to me why they gave me a drink with a pound of sugar in it to see if I had it) we went into the exam room. My heart was pounding and my hands were sweaty. But all of that nervousness disappeared when she turned the computer screen to me and said, "There is your baby!" Both John and I teared up seeing the first glimpse of our baby and hearing his/her heartbeat. The feeling is indescribable and it felt like time stood still as I gazed at our beautiful baby. And to make it even more precious the baby actually moved his/her arm as it was saying hi! I couldn't believe it and we all got a good chuckle out of it. We could see the little heart beating and make out the spots where the eyes and ears were too. To witness this was unbelievable and I still feel like I'm floating on cloud nine. And to hear that the baby looked great and the heart beat was strong was music to my ears.
As we left the doctors office I couldn't get the song Oh Happy Day! out of my head, it was indeed one of the happiest days of my life!


First glimpse of our baby and although it's not the best
quality picture (I took this will my cell phone) you can
still make out the head and body of our bundle of joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment