Monday, September 7, 2009

The Big Reveal

One of the great things about being pregnant is revealing your news to family and friends. Since this is the first time my husband and I have had this news, watching our loved ones reaction to it has been priceless.


We wanted to tell both our families in a unique way so we could hold the story dear to us for years to come. John and I aren't very creative people, but I must say the way we told both our families was perfect. We first told John's family since they live in a town close to us about a week ago. John and I deliberated about how to break the news to them the whole week leading up to it, and we finally both agreed on a perfect way.

We went over to his sister’s house for a family dinner. The whole time we waited for everyone to arrive John and I were on pins and needles, and to make matters worse we had to be prepared to dodge tricky situations such as being offered a glass of wine (which we almost always partake in with dinner) or someone asking if they could catch a drag off of a cigarette. We were doing pretty good and finally John's mom came down to his sisters house for dinner.

John had come up with a story that he wanted to take a big family picture for his bulletin boards at school since the school year had just started. We got everyone gathered and John acted like he was going to say “everyone say cheese!" but instead he said “everyone say Robyn's pregnant!" Right away his family embraced and congratulated us. His mom even cried tears of joy over the news. The rest of the night we talked about our plans for our new family's future. I must say it was a night I will never forget and one of my favorite life's memories. The best thing about it is we were able to capture everyone's reaction on film. Below are some of the pictures right after we told them.
Right when John said I was pregnant.
Sharing a hug with John's sister
Sharing a hug with John's mom
soaking it in with my brother-in-law
After sharing that wonderful experience with John's family, I couldn't wait to get to Houston and share the news with my family. Even though I wanted to call my mom and share the news right away I knew the wait would be worth it and it was! I went down to see her Labor Day weekend with John. As we unloaded John's car with our bags to bring them in the house, I grabbed two gift bags that I had put together the night before to give to my mom and step dad. I could barely contain myself as we went through our hellos and catching each other up on what had been going on in each others life's the past week or two. When the right moment came I told my mom I had a gift for her and my step dad. I gave them both their bags and watched as my step dad opened his first to reveal a baby hat that said: Grandpa's Fishing Buddy. Then my mom opened hers to reveal a little camouflage onsie (for those of you that don't know my parents are really big into outdoor sports). The funny thing about it is it didn't hit them what the gifts meant. My step dad said he thought the hat was too small to fit my nephew and my mom thought the onsie was for the dog. I then explained to them that I was pregnant. My mom was elated and said she couldn't believe that she couldn't put two and two together. We all had a good laugh over it and started on the baby talk right away.


Both reveals, each different in their own way, were special and joyous. I couldn't ask for a better family and we are so happy we have a great circle that we could share our news with. Our baby is going to be born into a family with so much love that it makes me tear up thinking about it. I must say it’s amazing to see the circle of life and as Timon and Pumbaa would say, "Hukuna Matata!"

No comments:

Post a Comment