My sister just had a baby, not to mention the family's first girl! To say I am over the moon about my niece would be an understatement. I was able to spend the weekend with my family and get in the quality snuggle time I so craved with a baby girl. Aside from the typical conversations that go along with a new mom like how they are doing, how the baby is sleeping, and what the labor and delivery was like one conversation resonated with me so much that it inspired this blog post. What is it you may ask? Affirmation that as a parent you are doing the absolute best you can for your child.
I know this may seem like a no brainer, but after having a tearful conversation with my sister. I realized how much we NEED those affirmations.
I can't tell you the number of times I have second guessed myself and my parenting (often multiple times a day). The number of times I've felt so confused and lost in this crazy world of parenting that I've wondered if I'm really cut out to be a mom. And to be really honest (which has been my promise to you from the beginning) the times I've wondered if my boys would be better off in life with a different mom. Gasp! I know, I hate to even say those words out loud, but they come from a place of pure deep unconditional love where I only want the best for my boys. And those thoughts usually start to swirl around in my mind when I feel like I'm letting them down or not living up to my full mom potential.
We can be quick to compare ourselves to other moms, to the Hollywood version of parenting, or even the pinterest expectations that we put on ourselves. As much as I hate it, it's the truth and can really mess with one's mind.
As I sat and talked with my sister this weekend, I started to see a glimpse of myself in her. The part of me that questions my every parenting move and I wanted to desperately put her mind at ease. I started telling her all the things she was doing right and how blessed my niece was to have her as a mother, and that God had planned all along for her to be the only mom to my niece. Before I knew it we were both crying. Not tears of hurt or anger, but tears of joy. It's amazing how one kind word can change your outlook on life, and how much we crave the affirmation that we are doing the best we can.
So for all you mom's and dad's out there that are giving it your all out there, keep it up! You are an amazing parent that God specifically designed for your child.
For all the middle of night wakings because your child had a bad dream, or wet the bed, or had a Charlie horse, or just needed a hug. You are awesome!
For the morning struggles of getting the kids out the door and all the craziness that comes with it. You are a super parent!
For the unexpected phone calls from daycare when your child is sick and the helplessness you feel while holding them trying to comfort their fever or cough away. You are a warrior!
And for all those amazing moments in between that make life with kids wonderful, you are the reason for them!
From one parent to another, I think you are doing the best job you can and I affirm you!
My beautiful niece, Jaasiel. Love at first sight!

No comments:
Post a Comment