I think every mom, wife, sister, or daughter can admit they suffer from guilt when it comes to life and work. I've always had to deal with this type of guilt, but once I had Evan I feel like it kicked in ten fold. I constantly wonder if I'm giving him enough of my time, teaching him the right things, being available to him when he needs me.
My guilt trip seemed to almost consume me this week when Evan fell sick. He had a high temp, a horrible cough, and wasn't eating anything (this alone will drive a mom crazy!). This is all came at a time that work is beyond hectic and I couldn't afford to take a day off. John's mom was more than happy to watch him and help him feel better, but I felt guilty. That guilt was only magnified by the fact that I wasn't sleeping at night and every morning he would beg for me to stay with him and cry while doing it. Talk about pulling at your heart strings! I cried every morning on the way to work over it (some of that I blame on the pregnancy hormones). It's situations like that where I question if I should have chose to put work on the back burner. Was I a bad mom for putting work first this week?
I wish I could say these feelings of guilt only happen when Evan is sick, but they don't. There are nights when I get home that I'm so spent from my work day that I dial in being a mom. I put on Evan's favorite TV show, make an easy dinner for him, and hope that will keep him happy until bed time. I've been told by several people to savor every moment because I'll miss them when they are gone. I agree with that to an extent, but sometimes the moment has passed me by and I'm just beat. Then the guilt trip sets in. Should I be tuned in and discovering new activities with Evan every day and waking moment? Will this affect him growing up?
It's crazy all the way I beat myself up over being a parent, and I won't even go into the guilt trip I put on myself on being a good wife, friend, daughter, and sister. I have to accept that I am doing the best I can at juggling everything, and know that as long as I love everyone in my life with everything I got that things will work out in the long run. So, if you are reading this and feel a little guilty about the same things, give yourself a break and give me a ring and we can pat each other on the back for doing the best we can!
No comments:
Post a Comment