Every parent does it....and if they tell you they don't they are liars! What am I referring to you might be wondering? Comparing your child to someone else's. This is something that I'm not proud of and that I fight really really hard not to do, but against all my will and might it still happens.
I can't tell you how many sleepless nights I spent tossing and turning about when my sweet little Evan would walk. Friend's that had baby's around the same time I had Evan kids were walking and in some instances running! I had visions of carrying Evan across the stage at his high school graduation because he still hadn't learned to walk. Every month starting at 11 months, I would do everything I could to encourage him to get up and take off. Nothing. I read countless books and talked to his doctor about it. I felt like he teased me by scooting around holding on to the couch or his walker, but never really letting anything go to walk on his own. Then one day while I was talking with John's mom he just stood up and walked over to her. Wha?!? When did this happen? Did I really just see that? Now he is walking all over the place, and I could kick myself for every worrying so much about it.
I wish I could say that was the only thing I worried about because of comparing him to other kids, but it's not. When a friend's baby was eating solids, I thought why doesn't Evan like solids? When he did start eating solids and I saw my best friend's son eating vegetables, I thought why won't Evan eat vegetables? When out eating with Evan my husband and I struck up a conversation with a couple sitting next to us at a table who also had a 16 month old, but not just any 16 month old one that could sign like pro. The couple explained they started teaching their baby sign language at 3 months old. Why hadn't I done that? The list goes on and on and it's almost shameful when I really think about it.
The latest thing I was comparing Evan too has to do with his vocabulary. Evan is very smart (if I do say so myself) and understands almost everything you say to him. I can ask him to bring me something, put something away, to go somewhere and he'll do it but as far as him talking to you with words you can understand it ain't happening. He can mimic your words when he's focused but doesn't just say them on his own (other than dadda and nana). My comparing mind kicked in and I started comparing him to other children which lead to me wondering if he is developing ok which lead to more sleepless nights. I decided this has to end. I can't keep doing this to myself or my child.
Evan has hit all his developmental milestones just fine. He will do it when he is ready and I can't...CAN'T....compare him to anyone else because he is his own person. This epiphany, if you will, is what lead me to writing this entry. To remind myself that I have to enjoy every moment as it is with Evan and he will be fine. Evan is Evan not anyone else. So note to myself: Stop comparing and Enjoy!
I so know what you mean! It's a hard thing not to do. I catch myself comparing Lucy to others all the time. It's so amazing the things they learn and how things just all the sudden just start happening. Their little brains are ever growing! No need to compare and worry. We are all individuals with all different personalities right? The good and the bad but we are all still loved. Lucy has a doozie of a personality let me tell you. She has lots of anxiety and is very cautious with a big and loud personality. It's a hard thing to deal with when I just want her to go play and run around at the park, but she wants me by her side most all the time. The more we go to a one place she finally will break loose. It takes her a bit to get warmed up to things. It's nice she loves me so much but annoying and worrisome all at the same time. Mommy guilt is the worst! I've got it bad! You are a wonderful mommy and a beautiful person.
ReplyDeleteAw, Kat, I love you! Thanks for the reasurrance! I know we all want what is best for our kids which does make it hard at times! I hope we get to see you guys soon! Miss you a ton!
ReplyDelete