Monday, July 22, 2013

Mental Snap Shots


The older my boys get the more I realize how quickly time goes by and the more I try to desperately find a way to slow down time. I look back over the past three years since becoming a parent and can't believe how quickly time has gone by.

Any lingering baby qualities have totally gone in Evan. He is talking great, is 100% potty trained, and doesn't even sit in a booster seat at the table anymore. He also reminds me daily that he can do everything by himself and doesn't need my help. It's a little sad and hard to slowly let go so he can become a young man. I already find myself reminiscing about how things were when he was younger.

So, when I do have these moments that he is my baby again, I force myself to take a mental snapshot and store it in my brain forever. For instance last night when I was laying with him in his bed after I had tucked him in as we do every night, I couldn't help but notice how angelic he looked. His childhood innocence radiating around him. The mom in me wanted to squeeze him and tell him how much I love him and these moments like this. Instead I just laid there staring at my angel and taking it all in. I reminded myself to take a mental snapshot because one day even this little tradition would be something of the past.

I also find myself doing the same thing with Logan. I can't believe that we are almost through the first year of his life. I feel like he is growing up even faster than Evan did. And although I still have some baby time left with him, I know it's like sand through an hour glass and pretty soon he's going to be a little boy and no longer my baby. Whether it's rocking him to sleep, watching him discover something new or learning a new milestone my brain is frantically taking mental snap shots of it all.

I know we have a ton of new memories before us, but right now I just want to pause time and relish in the current moment.

The way Logan squeals in delight when I walk in the room after being gone at work all day or the way he plays with my necklace at night to help him nod off to sleep. Or the way Evan's eyes light up when I yell pillow fight as he scrambles for a pillow or how when I tell him I love him so much, he gives me a dimpled smile back and says "so much!" To some people this may seem trivial and small, but to me it's everything and so are they!

Something tells me letting go and letting them find their own way will never get easier, so as we go through each age and stage you can be certain that my brain will continue to take these mental snapshots that I'll treasure forever!

Enjoying Mother's Day at the park with my boys
 
A backyard picnic with my babies
10 months and counting
That cheesy grin gets me every time

No comments:

Post a Comment