Even though Evan's vocabulary isn't that big, I am amazed at how much he understands. I can ask or tell him to do about anything and he does it. This may not seem like a big deal to most people, but for me watching my little baby grow into a little boy it just blows me away!
For instance, last night I asked him if he could put his dish in the dishwasher and throw away a napkin (note the two different tasks here) and watched in bewilderment as he walked over to the dishwasher, set the napkin down, put his cup in the upper rack (YES, he even put it in the right rack), shut the dishwasher door, and then picked up his napkin and walked over to the trash to throw it away. I realized I did indeed ask him to do this, but the fact that he comprehended everything I said and did it in the right order and everything just blew me away.
I've also found that Evan actually listens better if I ask him to do something or task him with a chore. He wants to help, even if it means simple chores take that much longer (which they often do), and that in itself leaves me a little baffled. I'm glad he wants to help and to see his cute little peanut head as he is cleaning up his toys or trying to clear or set the dinner table is a total cuteness overload that I never expected. For some reason I thought the unwillingness to help that you often hear about with pre-teen and teenage kids started at a very young age, but boy was I wrong. Don't get me wrong, there are times that I ask Evan to help clean up or to do something and he won't but for the most part he's momma's little helper and the cutest one I've ever seen at that!

No comments:
Post a Comment