Monday, November 14, 2011

Silence is Golden!

When I was younger I never understood the phrase, "Silence is Golden!" but now that I'm a mom I not only understand it but crave it! As Evan gets older he is learning new things every day, and part of those new lessons, I'm convinced, is how to push my buttons. I've noticed that he will try to test me to see just how far he can go before I reprimand him. I know this is common in toddlers, but since John has started to be home more I've noticed that he tests me far more than he'll test John.
One of those tests comes in the form of whining, and it's not just any old whining, it's the kind that feels like nails on a chalk board. If I get up to go in the other room for anything, he instantly starts whining and following me around pulling at my pant leg and wanting me to pick him up. If I don't adhere to his whining right away it turns into a cry, until I finally give up and pick him up. I know! I know! I'm not helping matters, but sometimes silence really is golden.
Evan also has the art of whining down when it comes to being told no. If John tells him no, most of the time he'll carry on and listen to him. If I tell him no, the flood gates of whining open up and I don't hear the end of it. This is where I stand my ground and keep telling him no, to which he responds back with a full out temper tantrum. Lucky me, I know! I'm convinced that children can pick up the difference in sexes at this early age and this is why Evan is testing me.
I've gone so far as to say no or be stern with him in a deep voice (trying to mimic John), but all it does is make him laugh. Heck, I'd laugh at me too because I sound pretty ridiculous. I do find it endearing that all he wants is me around, but there are times that I just want all the whining to stop and for him to be independent.
So, the next time you have a silent moment to yourself or you hear the phrase "silence is golden" relish in it. Soak it in, and hold onto the deafening silence as long as you can. And if you see me sitting outside or in a closet with the door closed and lights off, you'll know why!

A little funny clip with other kids whining.....


No comments:

Post a Comment