Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Not the daddy!

I know that there is a time in every child's life where they prefer one parent over the other. I wasn't expecting that time to pop up as early as birth. Every since Evan was a newborn he has shown favoritism towards John. At first it was cooing or smiling for John unlike he did for me and I wasn't sure if I was imagining things or not (lack of sleep will do that to you). Now it is very obvious that he prefers John over me.

He will reach for John to hold him when I'm holding him. When John walks in the door his face lights up and he'll drop everything he is doing with me and crawl as fast as he can over to John like he hasn't seen him in years. I can't count the number of times I've offered him something and he's shook his head at me only to have him take it from John when he offers it. I find it endearing most of the time, but there are days when it hurts my feelings a little bit. After all, I am the one the carried him around in my bell for 9 months and gave up countless hours to breastfeeding in the middle of the night when he woke up. I'm not bitter at all….really!

The only time Evan prefers me over John is when he is sick. He only wants me to hold him and rock him to sleep. And even though when he's sick it's tough on us all, I love the fact that it's me, and only me, that he wants.

His preference of John reminds me of that old show that used to come on Friday nights called Dinosaurs. The baby dinosaur's famous line was "not the mamma!" and then he would hit whoever he was telling that too on the head. Evan has resorted to hitting me on the head quite yet, but if this keeps up that may be next.



I keep hearing how boys love their momma's and will always be momma's boys, so I'm waiting to see if that will be the truth our house. Either way I'll love him with all my might and hope he comes around to seeing who the real cool parent is….which is me!

No comments:

Post a Comment